Girls head to State for Cross Country

By Guest Contributor

Coach Dutch’s XC Longhorns were led by the freshman Sophia Nguyen who finished 27th (18:34.4) followed by Haley Harkrider (84th, 19:26.3) and Madison Haldman (100th, 19:39.3) in the 6A #UILState girls cross country championship AMAZING TALENT, KIDS, AND COACH!

The girls’ Varsity cross country team made history this Saturday sending off 3 qualifiers to the State meet in Round Rock, Texas at d Settlers Park Saturday November 6, 2021. It was a beautiful day with the state’s and nations best lined up for one last time of the season.

Freshman sensation Sophia Nguyen lead the Longhorns to a personal best of running a 5K in 18:34 putting her #2 on the all-time 5K list at George Ranch HS. Out of 149 athletes, Sophia placed 27th overall and set the tone running Longhorns. Sophia continued to make school history as she has been the only cross country athlete to qualify to the state meet as a freshman. Also, she made history as she now has the highest finish individually at the state meet in the girls’ program. What a remarkable season as Sophia Nguyen has an incredibly bright future in the program.

Senior Haley ‘Lexi’ Harkrider completed her high school career as a 4-Time state Qualifier to the cross country state championships. The senior had an excellent start and finished strong running a season best of 19:26. Lexi placed 84th out of 149 athletes and dedicated being a strong leader in the race for our horns.

Junior Madison ‘Maddie’ Haldiman finished her season as a 2 time state Qualifier bettering her time from last year’s state meet as well. Maddie ran a time of 19:39 to lead her to a finish of 100 out of 149 athletes. The 2021 20-6A district champ had a strong finish and made good strides passing competitors towards the end. The Longhorns were the only team at the state meet that had the most individual qualifiers. This completes the 2021 season as the Girls Varsity team set history winning their 11th consecutive district championship, placed 5th at the regional meet and qualified 3 athletes to the state meet for the first time in school history. Thank you to the that has supported our girls cross country program this season! We Are GR!