National days of the week 12/19 – 12/23

Back to Article
Back to Article

National days of the week 12/19 – 12/23

By Amanda Martin, Staff Writer

There is a national day each and every day of the year. Here are the national days for this week.

Monday: National Hard Candy Day

Most hard candies are 100% sugar with flavoring and colors added. In the seventeenth century, hard candy became more popular as sugar prices dropped. Popular hard candy includes Dum Dum Lollipops, Life Savers, Tootsie Roll Pops and much more.

Tuesday: Mudd Day

This day celebrates the birthday of Dr. Samuel Mudd. Dr. Mudd was imprisoned for conspiring to assassinate President Lincoln. Mudd was pardoned by President Andrew Johnson and released from prison in 1869.

Wednesday: National Flashlight Day

Around 1899, the invention of the dry cell and miniature incandescent electric light bulbs made the first flashlight that was battery- powered. Today the flashlights that we use are often run by rechargeable batteries.

Thursday: National Re-Gifting Day

This day was chosen to honor all of the office parties and the many different ways of doing their Christmas gift exchange. This day in December is the most common day businesses or companies have their Christmas parties. This day was made official in 2008 by Colorado governor, Bill Ritter, Junior.

Friday: National Roots Day

This day is celebrated across the United States yearly. This day encourages the country to look into their heritage, family history and ancestry.

About the Writer
Amanda Martin, Business Manager & Staff Writer

Amanda Martin is a senior this year. This is her third year on The Wrangler staff, and is now the Business Manager. In her free time, she enjoys volunteering, taking pictures, and hanging out with her friends and family. After she graduates, she wants to pursue a degree in healthcare administration with hopes of working at Texas Children's Hospital.

National days of the week 12/19 – 12/23