The Importance of Valentine’s Day

Why is the holiday so important in our culture?

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Importance of Valentine’s Day

Public Domain

Public Domain

Public Domain

By Darren Bradby, Staff Writer

Dia del amory la Amistad, San Valentin, Saint Valentin, Dia dos Namorados, and Valentinsdag are just several names for the one day American’s call ‘Valentine’s Day’. The day of love is simply to show appreciation for those you care most about or even the friends that have been by your side since day one. February 14th is a day when love is celebrated widely across the world, now this might have you thinking, what makes this day “the day of love”?

February 14th is a day when love is celebrated widely across the world, now this might have you thinking, what makes this day “the day of love”?”

— Darren Bradby

Valentine’s Day revolves around the saint, Saint Valentine, who was a poet in medieval times that first presented the idea of the romantic traditions we follow annually. On the internet, there is evidence that there is more than one Saint Valentine because many men picked up the torch and carried on the traditions of Saint Valentine.

The true backstory about Valentine’s Day is not as wonderful or romantic as one would think. One Saint Valentine was supposedly a Roman priest in the third century who performed secret weddings against the wishes of the authorities. Imprisoned in the home of a noble, he healed his captor’s blind daughter, causing the whole household to convert to Christianity and sealing his fate. Before being tortured and decapitated on February 14th, he sent the girl a note signed “Your Valentine.”

The 14th of February was not just a random day someone chose; it also has a lot of religious backstories linked to it. After centuries of celebrating the traditions, the pope of the Catholic church declared that February the 14th was Valentine’s Day. The reason for this was to end all remaining paganism.

Valentine’s Day is not just for lovers and friends, but companies make a boatload of money off the tradition as well. According to ABC News, an average person spends $136.57 and in total $18.2 billion dollars on Valentine’s day items. All that money ranges between items such as flowers, cards, and candy that people buy for their loved ones. In celebration of this holiday, if you see someone tell them, “Feliz día de amor y amistad”.

About the Writer
Darren Bradby, Staff Writer

Darren Bradby is a senior. This is his first year on The Wrangler staff. In his spare time he likes to take pictures, hang out with friends, and listen...

• Podcast

The Round-up: The Lost Podcast

• The Importance of Valentine’s Day

FEATURES

History of the Met Gala

• The Importance of Valentine’s Day

FEATURES

TSA competes at the State Conference and Wins

• The Importance of Valentine’s Day

FEATURES

Road To Recovery

• The Importance of Valentine’s Day

FEATURES

The Background of the Historical Notre Dame Cathedral

• The Importance of Valentine’s Day

FEATURES

They Killed!

• The Importance of Valentine’s Day

FEATURES

The History of St. Patrick’s Day

• The Importance of Valentine’s Day

BLOG: THINK ABOUT IT

Perceptions

• The Importance of Valentine’s Day

FEATURES

Transitioning from Air Force to Teaching

• Podcast

The Round-up: Week of 4/15

The Importance of Valentine’s Day