Scary Movies: What’s worth it?

Whether it is a haunted house, a movie, or even just pranking friends, most teenagers love to get scared, and will even pay for it. It seems like the cheapest (and closest) way to get scared before Halloween is the good ole movies, but why waste money on a movie that isn’t even worth your effort? Scary movies, good or bad, are fun to see, and I’m here, as your movie guide, to talk about which new scary movies will scare your brains out, or just make you wish you never wasted your money.

Cabin in the woods-R

At first, this seems like your typical scary movie with teenage actors: a group of teens (Chris Hemsworth,Kristen Connolly, Fran Kranz), in the woods, no adults, old men warning them about the house… blah blah blah. But, this movie is actually a good scare (if you stay away from spoilers) while making fun at all the clichés, it seamlessly mixes comedy and horror. Though no “comedy horror” meets up to the magnitude of Scream, this movie is well worth your time.

House at the End of the Street-PG13

Jennifer Lawrence stars as a sullen teenager who moves to a new house with her mother, and after living with her father for most of her life, she has trouble warming up to her mother. They end up moving next door to a house where a young girl murdered her parents four years earlier. While the whole town is paranoid, they claim that the girl has died. But has she? The movie pulls off a few surprising twists while introducing some compelling themes about frayed parent-child relationships and the way fear and paranoia can turn a whole town sinister.

Paranormal Activity 4-R

If you’re a fan of this series, this should be a little different from the rest, but if not, you’re probably thinking “Here we go, another ‘scary documentary.’” Part 4 is the first sequel that moves forward in time, and introduces a new family. Since the protagonists are teenagers, Paranormal Activity 4 has a bit more of the generational conflict where the parents just don’t believe them.

Sinister-R

This movie (from the producer of Paranormal Activity, Insidious and The Exorcism of Emily Rose) is brand new to the theater. This movie is definitely above the “run of the mill” horror movies in the theaters. The father (Ethan Hawke) of a family of 4 has just found film footage of previous families in the same home being killed. What he doesn’t know, is that they aren’t only near the scene of the crimes, they are now in it. The movie will keep you guessing till the very end.

Silent Hill: Revelations-R

Heather Mason and her father have been on the run, always one step ahead of dangerous forces that they don’t fully understand. Now on her 18th birthday, she is plagued by horrific nightmares and the disappearance of her father. Heather discovers she’s not who she thinks she is. The revelation leads her deeper into a demonic world that threatens to trap her forever.

• Scary Movies: What’s worth it?

RESTAURANT REVIEWS

Top Five Local Coffee Spots

• Scary Movies: What’s worth it?

A&E

Deck the Halls: A Playlist

• Scary Movies: What’s worth it?

A&E

Return to the Sauce Album Review

• Scary Movies: What’s worth it?

PLAYLISTS

2000s Time Capsule: A Playlist

• Scary Movies: What’s worth it?

A&E

Must-see Movies on Netflix

• Scary Movies: What’s worth it?

A&E

Bigger, Better, and Scarier – it’s Stranger Things 2

• Scary Movies: What’s worth it?

A&E

Music for YOU

• Scary Movies: What’s worth it?

A&E

Fall & Winter Themed DIYs

• Scary Movies: What’s worth it?

A&E

Winter DIYs

• Scary Movies: What’s worth it?

A&E

Longhorn Players’ Godspell Rehearsals

Scary Movies: What’s worth it?