Christmas Around The World

Back to Article
Back to Article

Christmas Around The World

By Jeff Weese (Flickr: Nativity) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

By Maria Divina Canalita, Staff Writer

Ah, Christmas is approaching. Festive lights around the neighborhood, gingerbread making and of course, gift giving. It is the celebration for the birth of Jesus and is mainly celebrated on the midnight of  December 25. Christmas Eve as you call it. But not only Christians celebrate it, other religions gather for it too.

Christmas is celebrated in different traditions. Countries around the world have different ways on how they celebrate it. Just like here in George Ranch, we annually celebrate it by setting up trees. Clubs, Sports teams, Extra Curricular groups and even AP Classes are invited to break out their best to set up their Christmas Tree.

In a different countries such as Mexico, its often celebrated during December 12th to January 6th. It usually starts with Posadas, known as Pastorelas (Shepherds), a reenactment of the Census pilgrimage to Bethlehem by Mary and Joseph. On Christmas Eve, “Noche Buena” in Mexico, is a family gathering  in which they dive in and eat their Christmas food. And on January 6th, Mexican children expect gifts at Epiphany, known as ‘El Dia de los Reyes’.

Since Mexico is a predominantly Catholic country, they are highly spirited when it comes to traditions. Likewise, the Philippines do the same thing around. Both countries were colonized more than hundreds of years. Although  Christmas in the Philippines is a bit different. Kids singing Christmas Carols, Star-Shaped Lanterns hanging around the neighborhood and Karaoke Nights every midnight.

In India, midnight masses are very important. They walk in to the their Catholic church decorated with Poinsettia flowers and candles which symbolizes the Star of Bethlehem. After the mass, they gather for a massive food feasts like Curries and Jalebis.

Now in the US, Christmas is celebrated in different ways. Since its a multi-cultural country, there are lots of traditions happening. But in general, most Americans celebrate it by decorating the streets with Christmas Lights. You can see inflated Santa Clauses, Reindeers and even Snowmen too! And for the food, Eggnogs and Gingerbread houses are usually enjoyed in front of a good ol’ fireplace

You see, Christmas is celebrated in various ways. But that doesn’t mean we all don’t go together, its all just a matter of giving. Giving time and love which brings us together.

So you, what’s your plan this Christmas?

About the Writer
Maria Divina Canalita, Staff writer

Maria Divina Canalita is a junior at George Ranch. This is her second year on The Wrangler Staff of GR. She likes to free-write anything. She's been taking...

• Christmas Around The World

CAMPUS AND COMMUNITY LIFE

Orchestra’s First Concert

• Christmas Around The World

CAMPUS AND COMMUNITY LIFE

Homecoming Court Nominees

• Christmas Around The World

CAMPUS AND COMMUNITY LIFE

Wrangler Staff Win at TAJE

• Christmas Around The World

CAMPUS AND COMMUNITY LIFE

Choir competes at All-State

• Christmas Around The World

CAMPUS AND COMMUNITY LIFE

Students earn positions at TMEA

• Christmas Around The World

CAMPUS AND COMMUNITY LIFE

FFA wins at the Fort Bend County Fair

• Christmas Around The World

CAMPUS AND COMMUNITY LIFE

Longhorn Band secures spot in finals

• Christmas Around The World

CAMPUS AND COMMUNITY LIFE

The Path to Teaching

• Christmas Around The World

CAMPUS AND COMMUNITY LIFE

A Debate Girl

• CAMPUS AND COMMUNITY LIFE

What Mother’s Day Really Means

Christmas Around The World