Making This Year Count

The choir department keeps on growing and pushing their limits.

The+choir+members+right+before+their+Region+Auditions+at+First+Colony+Middle+School.+

Charles Williams

The choir members right before their Region Auditions at First Colony Middle School.

By Kaelee Hunter, Co Editor In Cheif

Months worth of practicing leads up to a two-minute audition that can change your whole music directory.

The select choir students are in this exact process, called TMEA Texas All- State Auditions. The end goal is to place in the Texas All-State Choir which includes the best of the best high school singers.

Before they can get to that point, there are a total of four different auditions – each with different music pieces they must learn. Districts, Regionals, Pre-Area, and Area are the different rounds. These are made to help filter out kids to their top picks.

In each round there is a different set of music that is learned by the students. They will typically have a month to learn all the pieces to perform a 30 second clip of each song to five judges.

In the Region round the members will get placed in a choir. The four choirs are mixed, men’s, women’s, and honor choir. The concert will be hosted by our school in the auditorium at 3 PM on November 6. The concert does not have and entrance fee, and all are encouraged to attend to support the choir department.

This year the choir department is sending a total of 22 students to the Pre-Area round – the most that has ever made it through in our history.

The Pre-Area audition takes place November 16, 2021. For more choir updates check out their Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter @ GRanchChoir.